Who Created Red Dragon American Karate?
Shi-han Sensei Louis Casamassa, a 10th degree black belt is Grand Master of Red Dragon Karate and founder of the American Karate Kung Fu Federation (A.K.K.F.). He originated the American Form style. During the 60′s he traveled extensively throughout the Orient studying many different styles of martial arts. In keeping with yankee ingenuity and American tradition he took the best 7 major martial arts forms and combined them into one new powerful and effective style which is known as the Red Dragon style of martial arts.
What Style of Martial Arts is Red Dragon Karate?
The American form style of karate taught in each Red Dragon Studio is a combination of the seven major oriental styles of martial arts founded by Shi-han Sensei Louis D. Casamassa. It is a very fast and powerful martial arts form that requires each student’s desire, effort and getting commitment to excel. The martial arts style included in American Karate include:
- Japanese (Judo, Aikido, Shotokan)
- Chinese (Kung Fu, Wing Chung, Kun Tao, Kenpo)
- Korean (Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Moddykwan)
- Okinawan (Go Ju Ryu, Isshin Ryu)
- Indonesian (Javanese Silat, Penjack Silat)
- Filipino (Kali Escrima, Thai Kickboxing)
- Tibetan (The Monks, forms, animal styles)
Red Dragon Karate’s base style is Judo.
All of the Red Dragon instructors are are Black Belt Professionals. Their energy, enthusiasm, helpfulness and friendliness are proof that our program works. Parents enrolling children and teens are reassured to know that classes are conducted by instructors who expect best behavior, uphold rule, and provide continuous supervision. They strive daily to be the best they can be and they’re dedicated to passing along that special quality of assurance and achievement to every student.
Highlights of Shi-Han Sensei’s professional achievements.
- A U.S. Marine decorated in the service to his country 1958-1964
- Began studying Judo in Japan in 1958.
- Trained at the Kodokan in Japan 1958-1961. His instructor was Tochiko Yogami.
- Risei Kano, son of Dr. Jigaro Kano, promoted Shi-Han Sensei to black belt in Judo. He was one of the first ten Americans ever to be promoted on December 8, 1960-he received his 1st Degree Black Belt in Judo at the Kodokan in Japan .
- Promoted by Mas Nagano to 1st degree black belt in Yokosuka, Japan 1961
- Opened the first full time Red Dragon Karate in Bethlehem , Pennsylvania in 1966.
- Voted policeman rookie of the year of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Police Force. 1967
- Voted policeman of the year 1968
- Opened the first Red Dragon Karate in Covina , California in 1972
- Created certifying organization American Karate Kung-Fu Federation (A.K.K.F.) to promote certification and professionalism in Martial Arts. 1968
- Listed in the Who’s Who of Karate 1974
- Nationally accredited advocate dedicated to improving the spiritual/mental/physical aspects of young martial artists. 1977
- Wrote self-defense book for women, Rapist Beware 1982.
- Received California State Senate/Assembly resolutions for Rapist Beware program.
- Received personal/professional commendations from:
- Governor Pete Wilson, L.A. Major Tom Bradley, U.S. Congressman David Drier, L.A. County supervisors, & San Bernadino County.
- Received 10th Degree Black Belt in 1986.
- Received Instructor’s Award from Yamashita International Golden Masters 1993
- Recognized by U.S. Congress for Women’s Self Defense program 1993
- Grand Masters Hall of Fame 1996
- Entered into Master and Founders Hall of Fame 1997
- Co-Created A.I.D., America in Defense Safety Program in 2001, with Bob Wall and Chuck Norris
- Kentucky Blue Grass Hall of Fame 2002
- Has promoted over 1,500 members to Black Belt, along with promoting Grand Masters who hold ranks of 7th, 8th and 9th degree black belts.
- Promoted over 200 National and International karate tournaments.